During early 70s, there were several issues with structural members manufactured from HAC (High Alumina Cement Concrete). Such type of concrete undergoes a crystalline re-arrangement called as conversion that can lead to strength loss, specifically when the original ratio of water and cement doesn’t controlled in strict manner. To determine the HAC concrete and to distinguish it from concrete prepared with usual Portland cement, experts did rapid chemical test. Today, the condition of mixture is determined by cement/concrete testing equipment.
High Alumina Cement is prepared by grinding calcining bauxite clinkers and ordinary lime. It serves many advantages to the clients that use it for building structures. Some advantages are as follows-
- High alumina cement solely has strength to withstand high temperatures. This is the reason why foundries, refractories and other workshops use this cement due to presence of high temperature.
- High alumina cement sets in 3 hours which is quick than regular ppc cement. The final setting time is 5 hours.
- It evolves great heat when setting, which means you can use these cements in colder temperatures.
- This cement is also extremely resistant to concentrated acids and this is why most chemical industries select this option.
- The setting time is lesser than ppc cement and has more strength as well.
The con side of high alumina cement includes-
- Expensiveness - High alumina cement is costly.
- Limited use in construction- It includes great heat and thus, person doesn’t use it in mass construction.
- Cannot be partnered with lime – If high alumina cement gets in contact with lime or ordinary PPC cement, its power will get reduced.
Read More Related This :